Levi's Mission News

Levi's Mission News

Monday, November 23, 2015

Episode 1: Indian in India

Hey Y'all,
Yes, I will still use that word even though I'm in India. I took a long plane ride Tuesday afternoon to get here to Bangalore India. I first stopped in Denver, and then Frankfurt, then finally Bangalore. Upon arrival to India, we went through customs and they questioned us lots, on why we Americans wanted to come to India.  Next we went to baggage claim to pick up our bags and learned our bags weren't even put on the plane. So we (Elder Tuscano and I) were without our checked bag for a day. They paid us 4000 rupees (I think that's $65 U.S dollars) and then met the mission president outside the airport.  Indian traffic is insane and doesn't quite make sense how no one crashes. I was put in the Bangalore area and have been out with three other missionaries for the past 4 days. I am temporarily here and will find out  the area I'll be serving in  later today.  

This week I have had lots of Indian food, and have smelt certain smells I didn't even know existed.  The people here are very poor and it shows how blessed we are in America. Lots of people eat on the floor, and I saw a man eating lettuce off his house floor. The accents are very thick here and takes sometime to understand. They can understand me just fine. When we go to peoples homes and I tell them I'm an American they get me a chair to sit on and silverware to eat my food (not complaining one bit). 

They don't wipe their butts with their left hand (or at least most don't), but they use a sprayer. I have adjusted pretty well here so far, but still working on the food and their accents. They always want to feed people for some reason and constantly ask how many languages I know  (but when they find out I'm American they assume I only know one, which I do).  

We ride our bikes through all the traffic here and am surprised I haven't been hit yet. They use all motorcycles and small cars. I wait for the day when I see a Ford f150 rollin down the streets. Many people use the bathroom wherever they please, and you can litter wherever you want. There is trash everywhere. No one here has trash cans in their homes or even paper towels. The American food here is expensive, and I have been eating Chocos (Indian Coco puffs) and Nutella. I thank the Lord for all we Americans are blessed with, and am very humbled by the way they live here. Most people sleep on one mattress on the floor, for the whole family to share. I cant drink the water here it needs to be filtered, and it surprised me cause the Indian people also can't drink their OWN water without it being filtered. 

Everyone is very friendly here, and will hear what you have to say even though I'm a stranger. We do not do service in this mission only proselyting. We only Proselyte to fellow Christians that speak English. The mission president said none of the American missionaries gain Indian accents (So take that, all of you who think im going to). India is definitely an interesting place and is an eye opener for sure.  One of the companions I have been with is from India, and is obsessed with Lil Wayne.  He thinks everything in America is free for us, and wants to visit New Orleans, LA (cause that's where Lil Waynes from). I told him to not step foot there cause its a weird place, and will not bode well for him especially cause he's foreign. I have enjoyed my first couple of days here and can't wait to experience more. 
Love,
Elder Magnusson






NOTE FROM MOM:  Levi says the missionaries there tell him he may be going to Rajahmundry, because it's the most "non western" and if the missionaries can survive there, they can survive anywhere.     I think he might be joking.  Just don't know.  

2 comments:

  1. So happy to hear how well he is doing....levi continues to be in our prayers =)
    Bro. Mtn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear how well he is doing....levi continues to be in our prayers =)
    Bro. Mtn.

    ReplyDelete