Levi's Mission News

Levi's Mission News

Monday, February 1, 2016

The Never Ending Translation Chain

January 25, 2016

Hey y'all,
We didn't have many lessons this week, mainly because everyone was out of "station" or in other words town. I found out last week that one of Elder Conrad's good friends is Mitchell Dunhams companion who happens to be my good friend, which is cool. We did lots of finding this week, but only found one guy who happens to be a members neighbor, the guy's name is Pradeep, and in our lesson with him he shared a very interesting story about his experience in finding his faith in God. He was raised Christian, but didn't have much to do with his church, and him and his family were going through a tough time. So he made the conclusion that he was gonna commit suicide, so he went to the local train station and was gonna lay on the tracks. And was gonna do that right when a train was coming, but somehow he tripped right in front of the tracks, and just barely missed the train. At that exact moment was when he felt the love of God and excepted Jesus Christ into his heart. Pretty cool story something I have never heard before. Anyways he loves learning about Jesus Christ and likes having us over. My bike was in the shop yet again for a day, my rim was missing some spokes, and they didn't have the right size. In addition to seeing a kid squat and pee on the sidewalk I witnessed another kid squat and poop right in front of her house. Its kinda interesting how that is normal and "accepted" here. I have realized through out my time here, that when I talk to members and investigators (whether teaching, or just talking) they need Elder Conrad to translate it to them (though he too is speaking English) When speaking english here we need to talk slowly for them to understand. And people dont exactly talk slowly in the south ( they also cant understand the accent), so when I ask a members something, Elder Conrad translates it to them. And when they respond Elder Conrad translates it to me. He has been here for almost a year, I would assume that when I have been here for sometime I too will be able to talk slower naturally. I (as I did in the MTC) have a tough time staying awake during lessons, which is not good, because it may make them think that I dont care about them or something but I do. Its usually in the afternoon time between 2-4. I have also learned that most the people here dont like Gandhi, and their reason is a pretty good one. They say if Gandhi didn't try to make India free from the Brits, then India would be more developed, I thought India loves Gandhi, but turns out most the people I meet, hate him and what he did. Anyways until next week!
Love,
Elder Magnusson
P.S: Elder Conrad didn't​know who Ralph Lauren was



No comments:

Post a Comment